Summer Sewing for Girls

Summer Sewing for Girls - The Cottage Mama

These are my silly girls. Savannah Rose (6) and Matilda Jane (4.5). The girls are 16 months apart in age and as much as I would love to say they are best friends, I’d say we walk a fine line in this house. Somedays the girls play beautifully together and other days…….well, those are days that are, shall we say, less than beautiful. But they are sisters and I never had a sister, so I’m guess that’s what sisters do. They love hard and they fight hard, but in the end love prevails.

So I’ve really been doing some summer sewing for girls (well, kids). I posted the Ruffle Shorts Tutorial on Monday and I have been going bananas making lots of those for these little ladies. It’s pretty fun combining my beloved quilting cotton with the knit fabric that Savannah is starting to love more and more. So here are a few pieces I’ve created for the girls.

Summer Sewing for Girls - The Cottage Mama

This dress that Matilda is wearing was a pattern that I drafted about 5 months ago that I was planning releasing in my summer collection. However, another pattern came out that was slightly similar so I decided to scrap this little dress as a future pattern. I just don’t want to run the risk of having something similar to another designer. But I still love it for my girls and will continue to sew it for them!

Summer Sewing for Girls - The Cottage Mama

Summer Sewing for Girls - The Cottage Mama

The fabric used here is Country Girls by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake Designs. I am in love with this line. It’s so fresh, girly, whimsical and vintage and I think it’s so sweet for little girls clothing. The dress is short sleeved and has two side front panels that are gathered and then an inset center panel that is trimmed out with red piping. The round neck collar is also trimmed with the same red piping. The back is closed with two button and loop closures. The leggings are a navy and white stripe in a capri length spandex knit and the outfit is finished with these sweet red shoes from Livie and Luca. I love this dress because it’s so easy and breezy to wear. It’s a cute piece, but still perfect for play clothes!

Summer Sewing for Girls - The Cottage Mama

You saw a preview of Savannah’s outfit earlier this week. This is the FREE Party Dress Pattern (6 month – size 10) that is available for newsletter subscribers (sign up at the top of the blog) and The Cottage Mama Patterns Group members on Facebook (you can find the group HERE). I shortened the dress pattern to make it into a size 6 top for Savannah. I cut the main skirt piece 12″ long and then the contrast band at the bottom of the skirt is 2″ wide (4″ total since it’s folded in half length wise). I used some ruffle rick rack trim that is made by Riley Blake Designs (our blog sponsor The Palmetto Baby carries this trim in their shop) in between the main skirt fabric and the contrast band. I used some large flower buttons on the back and the loop closures are made with red and white gingham. The fabric is also Country Girls by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake Designs.

Summer Sewing for Girls - The Cottage Mama

Savannah is wearing the ruffle shorts that I made to go with her top. I avoid making her too many dresses for everyday wear because she doesn’t like getting tripped up on them when she’s playing outside or on a play ground. Again, I think this is another cute outfit, but she still feels like she can run around and play.

So I’m continuing my summer sewing for the kids. I’ve got some nautical things in the work for our trip to Florida and don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about Mr. Caspian Finn. He’ll have a few news things as well.

Baby Doll Pouch Blanket Tutorial from The Cottage Mama.

In case you missed it, here is another project made from this lovely fabric line. It’s a Baby Doll Pouch Blanket Tutorial!

Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

Like this post? Want even more?
Sign up below and receive all my tutorials, recipes and updates directly in your email inbox.


  1. Such cute girls! I have two girls, too, and yes they love each other about 95% of the time and fight the other 5%. I only had a brother, like you, but it is fun to watch my girls grow up and play together.

    Super cute outfits!!

  2. Both are beautiful! I wish that first dress was a pattern you would share, but I fully understand the reason behind not. My twins were looking over my shoulder as I was reading and they both really, really want that one! I don’t blame them one bit! Thank you for all that you share.

  3. Pre-cious! As always. 🙂

  4. Oh, I love how you’ve mixed the fabrics on the first and the options, too. Sure wish you’d add that to a collection. I would surely add it to my stash!

  5. They look so lovely. Love your fabric choice and the colours you use together.

  6. Cute girls! Amazing how you can sew such lovely things! I’m a newbee when it comes to sewing, but with two kids ahead, I’d might consider starting!